How to switch from gnome to kde?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Jan 1 21:40:20 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>I think all you really have to do is to install:
>>>
>>>kubuntu-desktop
>>>
>>>and everything will be pulled in.
>>
>>That must be the one I missed.  According to synaptic, this will be about
>> the 20th time amarok will be installed.  And I don't recall if that was
>> 3.5.10 stuffs, or 4.1.2-3 stuffs.  We'll see in a bit as I don't think it
>> had to download anything.
>>
>>Thanks!
>
> That helped a bit, after a reboot I can now see some kde stuff in the gnome
> menu, but I still don't have a graphical login.
> kmail was in the menu, but won't run.

Since I believe you now have the original Ubuntu (gnome) and the
recent additional package kubuntu-desktop installed, then at the login
screen you should see the expected small menu item 'Options' I think
at the lower left of the display.

Before you complete the login process, examine the
Options>session.

You should see an option for either the gnome session (previous?) and
the kde session. Choose the kde session and then complete the login
process.

This should take you into a full Kubuntu desktop, with many of the
gnome related items also available.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391