Network problems

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Jan 1 09:20:58 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> I installed mint 6 just to see what all the hoorah was about, and it
> works pretty good if I was to comnpare it to windows.  But compared to
> linux it sucks the big one for 2 or 3 reasons.

Compared to which Linux? :)

> But the bigger yet problem is the networking, which works flawlessly
> with dhcp, but that is not how my little home network is setup.  I have
> everything in the hosts file, and in ifcg-eth0 files, all for fixed
> addresses on this network.  I did find the network configurer ok, and
> the changes I made seem to stick, but they are not used at reboot time.
>  So where, in what file, do I configure the real eth0?

The configuration is in "/etc/network/interfaces", see "man interfaces"
for details.

> I also can't find anything to start/stop/restart a service such as
> 'network' other than directly executing '/etc/init.d/networking stop'
> which does, and a restart reports its skipping the eth0=eth0, but
> doesn't install my changes. Surely this hasn't degenerated to the level
> of windows where any change requires a reboot?

I don't know what Fedora has additionally to the scripts in /etc/init.d
but Suse has links /sbin/rcSCRIPTNAME -> /etc/init.d/SCRIPTNAME. If you
want to have these you can make them with these commands:

cd /etc/init.d
for s in *; do
  test -x $s || continue
  sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/$s /sbin/rc$s
done

Many of the links are probably not usefull but with these links you could
use "rcnetworking stop" instead of "/etc/init.d/networking stop".

Nils