Network problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 1 01:07:02 UTC 2009

Greetings;

I installed mint 6 just to see what all the hoorah was about, and it works
pretty good if I was to comnpare it to windows.  But compared to linux it
sucks the big one for 2 or 3 reasons.  One of which I may be able to fix with
alacarte, it only installed one virtual screen!  This ancient box also has an
nvidia 'Vanta' video card, which I have to assume is a $2 dollar goodwill
card with maybe 2 megs of ram.

But the bigger yet problem is the networking, which works flawlessly with
dhcp, but that is not how my little home network is setup.  I have everything
in the hosts file, and in ifcg-eth0 files, all for fixed addresses on this
network.  I did find the network configurer ok, and the changes I made seem
to stick, but they are not used at reboot time.  So where, in what file, do I
configure the real eth0?

I also can't find anything to start/stop/restart a service such as 'network'
other than directly executing '/etc/init.d/networking stop' which does, and a
restart reports its skipping the eth0=eth0, but doesn't install my changes.
Surely this hasn't degenerated to the level of windows where any change
requires a reboot?

Since this thing is ubuntu based, I thought maybe there might be a
knowledgable person here who could help.  I'm far more fam with the fedora
way of doing things.

It also seems to be stuck in gnome, even after installing around 400 megs of
kde stuffs, so thats bummer #4.

Please, and thank you.

--
Cheers, Gene