Trouble Install Kubuntu 8.10 64bit with GeForce 8600 GTS Card

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 22:21:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried installing in text mode? That way you'll either get it
> installed or see the problems as they occur. Once you are installed,
> install envyng to install your video driver for you. It works well for
> me. Ric

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm still battling this problem,
but do have some more information. I discovered that during bootup I'm
getting a message - 0.004000 Aperture beyond 4GB. Ignoring. I did a
search on this and I'm finding that this may be a bug in Intrepid and
is fixed in Jaunty (not sure if anything is going to happen for an
Intrepid fix.) I can't be sure if this is totally related to the Video
card or something to do more with particular BIOSes or a certain
kernel.

Any ways, I've tried several of the suggestions from the bug listing
(iommu=noaperture or iommu=memaper); most people seemed to see this
error after install, so I'm not sure. For now I think I will try a
text install and see what happens. If that doesn't work I may think
about a BIOS upgrade.

Thanks,
Brian