Trouble Install Kubuntu 8.10 64bit with GeForce 8600 GTS Card

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 02:18:51 GMT 2009

I'm trying to setup a machine for my 12 year old to use and get him
exposed to linux. I have a spare machine that has an AMD64 3000+
processor, 3GB RAM on a MS-7125 motherboard with a eVGA GeForce 8600
GTS video card. For the life of me I can't even get Kubuntu Ibex 64bit
to install on this setup. If I try to run the install I get the
Kubuntu splash screen and it does its thing for a little while and
then I get a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left
corner. On screens F1-F6 is just a standard user prompt on F7 is the
flashing cursor and nothing on F8-F12. If I try to just run Kubuntu as
a live CD I get the same thing on the various F# screens.

Any ideas what is going on here and how I can get this installed? I've
installed this same version of Kubuntu on another machine with another
GeForce 8 series card and it worked, just not sure what's up with this
hardware setup. My google searches only find people that are trying to
install the drivers after the install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian