Kmail. Intrepid install won't work.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 28 10:46:34 UTC 2009

> This looks like a configuration error and has nothing to do with if it
> is 32 or 64-bit.  Recheck that your SMTP login name and password is
> right and the type authorizing method it uses . For all the different
> ISP i had used i have never had to specify a login for the SMTP
> server. Are you sure you need a login for your SMTP?
>
> Jonas,

I am in a real pickle now.  I know how I got there and feel very stupid,
but I don't know how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Everytime I am doing work on the 64bit box, I switch the keyboard and
the lan line, so that I can work on the internet while working on the
box.  I have to go back an forth a lot.  So when I couldn't get Kmail to
work on the 64bit box and Kmail still worked on the 32 bit box,  I had
salvation.  Thank GOD I have two email servers hooked in.

Anyway, and being an old guy with a fading memory, when I would press
send on an email I would take that as a configuration problem.  I would
tinker with the settings trying to get an email sent that was not
actually connected.  By the time I thought of the connection problem, I
had tried so many configuration possibilities that I can't remember the
one that was right.  Now both boxes are screwed in Kmail.  It is the one
I normally use to.  When I look at the configuration in Thunderbird,
things aren't necessarily named the same, so I am not sure which
settings affect sending and which are just informative.  I have tried to
duplicate the Thunderbird settings but have failed.

Then I tried to install Thunderbird on the Intrepid partition and the 64
bit Intrepid box.  They are no longer in the package manager, at least
in mine.  I am not confident downloading from other sources.  When I
tried from the Thunderbird site, it would download about 1.5 megs and
stop; I forget the error message except that it said I had to enter the
network settings to increase something.  I will have to reinstall to get
the correct error message.

I can't send screen prints because they are too big for the list, but I
could send them to your address if you would look at them and see what
you think.

I am using my backup Thunderbird now and can't understand how I got it
on Intrepid 32 and can't get it now.

Steven