Aperture beyond 4gb. Ignoring.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 27 10:05:47 UTC 2009

> I've found
> http://www.x86-64.org/pipermail/discuss/2005-September/006680.html
> and
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/your-bios-doesnt-
>leave-a-aperture-memory-hole-624088/ referring to the topic; the second one
> (apart from the small flame war in it :) ) seems to say that the problem is
> due to the kernel trying to allocate resources for AGP while the system has
> no AGP video card. ASUS does not seem to have IOMMU options in the BIOS,
> but there is a possible workaround at the very bottom:
>
> "I know it's a little late, but I can successfully boot adding the
> iommu=noagp kernel parameter. I still get the error messages, but I can
> at least boot."
>
> Now you need some expert to tell you how to add a boot option :) I
> believe it's to do with menu.lst in /boot/grub, but I'm not at all sure
> I got the names right (not on a linux machine right now...)

Thanks Ignazio, I found that same post.  I found others that report success in
different ways, but I am not confident to handle the task myself.  I am just too
inexperienced. I have found others who have had some success in other ways,
but I need someone smarter than me evaluating the data.  This is a real
challenge though.  My BIOS is 108.14 and there is a version 109.  I am tempted
to try it, but everyone warns me, that if wrong or I make a mistake, I can
blow the board.  I have a friend in south Africa who I will bounce this one off
of.  One good thing, when solved, I should be able to help others for a
change.  You have been great, friend.

I have studied almost a dozen separate postings in Google, some with about 20
posts on the subject.  I have read where some are happy but it sounds like
they are just happy because they can finally boot all the way.  I don't have
confidence they have a solved problem.  I lost the screen completely for over
an hour before i could get back to a BIOS then boot then the regular GUI.  I
have it operational right now, but I still have the problem; I didn't fix it
yet.  300+ upgrades the first time.  Then a couple of hours lost without a
screen, then up again and another 200 + upgrades.  Pretty unusual.  They must
be making some pretty aggressive changes.  I don't know where you are, so I'll
say Good evening and Good morning and Good afternoon.  Whatever it is where
you are.

Steven