Warning: Some characters will be lost. - Kmail

Glenn R Williams gloonie at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 16:43:28 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 10:31:37 Steven Vollom wrote:
> Intrepid KDE 4.2
>
> Many times while writing an email I will get multiple interruptions with
> the warning it the subject line.  It further reads:  Not all characters fit
> into the chosen encoding.  Send the message anyway.
>                   (Lose Characters)               (Change Encoding)
>
> I neither understand what the encoding is about nor know how to change it.
> Each time it happens I click on (Change Encoding) to not lose any data, but
> it happens too often and interrupts the typing of the email.  Even if I
> knew where to change the encoding to make things work, I would not know
> what to change it to.
>
> Steven

I get this occasionally, and I think I know what causes it. If you look in
Kmail --> settings --> composer settings, and look in the tab entitled
"Charset", it states: "This list is checked for every outgoing message from
the top to the bottom for a charset that contains all required characters."

My list has us-ascii as the top of the list. I think that is you accidentally
(or purposely) type a character, Kmail wants to change to the next encoding in
the list. I changed the order it checks to have utf-8 first. hopefully that
will help.

Glenn