How to install Java on Kubuntu?

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 00:21:45 UTC 2009

I have tried to get some Java stuff sent by another person to run on my
system.  In the latest case I got a file that program 'file' shows as:

file Speed*
SpeedTest4-linux: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

So I set it as executable and:

./Speed*
Unable to find a supported JDK or JRE version. Version 1.3.1 or higher is
required.
Check your installation and use +javahome to specify the JDK or JRE location

I cannot find any documentation on JDK, JRE or +javahome.

I few weeks ago I tried the "hello world" from a tutorial website but had
troubles there also.  Doing search on synaptic yields a multipage listing of
crap related to jave but I have no idea where to start.

Is there any cookbook for setting up Java on Kubuntu?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I am not sure that the person sending me the test knows much more about
Java than I do---which nothing.  I'm just an old C programmer that knows
nuttin about this new fangled stuff.