Out of space error.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 14:18:37 UTC 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009, Ian wrote:
>Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Ian wrote:
>>> _8.04_
>>>
>>> I am getting error messages stating that I am out of disk space.
>>> Unlikely since I have a huge hard drive and really not a whole lot on
>>> it.  Relatively few .flacs, no videos, etc.
>>
>> It's not how big the hard drive is.  It's how big the relevant partition
>> is.  Please run:
>>
>> df -Th
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>
>Sorry for the hand holding.  I am totally in the dark here.
>Here is the output of df -Th
>

>Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>/dev/sdb2     ext3     56G   53G   85M 100% /

TBT Steven, if you are going to play with movies, a 56Gig drive is a whole
bunch too small.  One decent full length movie can fill that.  I shot a 22
minute wedding a couple of years ago with a Sony TRV-460, a 720x480 color
movie camera with a digital Hi-8 tape drive in it.  That wedding was about
3.3Gbytes captured from the camera over firewire by Kino.  Once run through
all the encoding to make a video cd out of it, it was still about 370
megabytes, filling the cd about half full.

You are showing 85 megabytes free, and the cache of your web browser could use
that up yet today.

As I've asked 2x before Steven, contact me off list.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)