Were Intrepid updates the reason I lost my sound on the Intrepid partition?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 22 22:44:43 UTC 2009

On Sunday 22 February 2009 17:29:47 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 22 February 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> First off, I wasn't aware that apt used java.  As for borked, is a
> >> bastardization of the work broken, invented by folks like me who can't
> >> type well at speed. :-)
> >
> >Gene!
> >
> >I don't think that apt is Java based, but in any case he was
> >_installing_ Java with apt and got stuck on the ncurses-based license
> >acceptance screen. I can only assume now (four days after the fact, I
> >don't read all the list messages) that he was trying to click on it
> >with the mouse and therefore the Java installation did not complete.
>
> Yes I believe that was the case, and the java screen was hard coded taller
> than his, preventing him from even seeing the "I accept" button.  Or some
> such similar bit of tomfoolery I've also seen.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> intoxicated, adj.:
> 	When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

I am not trimming because it may help those who are like me to read this on in
its entirety.  Anyway, on advice from the list, I opened adept to the place
where I was stopped in the installation of Java.  I was told to hit alt at the
time when the button did not show.  I did and it worked.  The button appeared
and I clicked on it and the package continued and finished install.  Later I
removed Java and reinstalled it using the version available on Adept, but it
still did not correct the sound problem I am having with Dragon Player.  I
hope this additional info is useful.

Steven