4.2 plasmoids problem

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 21:36:19 UTC 2009

2009/2/22 D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 02/21/2009 08:13 PM :
>
>> In particular (just to give one example), the notes plasmoid is no longer
>> accessible.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, this is part of kdeplasma-addons, which synaptic
>> reports as not being installed any more (it was installed before I ran the
>> update).
>>
>> When I try to install it manually, I get the following error:
>>   kdeplasma-addons:
>>   Depends: libkexiv2-7 but it is not going to be installed
>>
>> When I search for "libkexiv2-7" in synaptic, it reports no such package as
>> being available.
>>

> I've been looking more at this, but seem to be at an impasse. Could someone
> who installed the backports update to 4.2 please check whether they can
> install the notes plasmoid without an error?
>
> The weird thing here is that some part of the system obviously thinks that
> the notes plasmoid is available, because it's listed when I click on the
> desktop cashew | Add Widgets. But it fails (along with most of the other
> listed plasmoids) if I actually try to install it.
>
> I'm still trying to understand why this was marked "invalid" when I
> reported it as a bug on launchpad; as near as I can tell that probably
> means that they think one of the following is true:
>
> 1. the notes plasmoid doesn't come from kdeplasma-addons
> 2. kdeplasma-addons doesn't depend on libkexiv2-7
> 3. the update repository contains the libkexiv2-7 repository
>
> but synaptic definitely reports that kde-plasma-addons *does* depend on
> libkexiv2-7, and also reports that it doesn't know anything about
> libkexiv2-7. So maybe kdeplasma-addons is not the package that I should be
> trying to install?
>
>  Doc

I got two versions of libkexiv2-7, one from the PPA
(4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa3) and from the backport
(4.2.0-0ubuntu1~intrepid1) that was added some day ago. Could it be
some conflict with packages from PPA and them from backport? I had
trouble with some packages as the backport server didn't update all
packages at the same time. Have you tried to purge the relevant
packages and the forse install them if you got the same error?

/ Jonas