How do I equalize sound levels?

Constantinos Maltezos pandarsson at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 15:09:21 UTC 2009

On Sun February 22 2009 8:35:11 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> Sometimes I open a sound file and it opens louder than other audio files.
> Is there a way to equalize my system, so that all audio plays at the same
> levels? Thanks!

Generally not.  The problem is that audio can be recorded at different levels.
Another thing that can make a big difference is whether it's mono or stereo.
Mono tends to be much louder than stereo (though, of course, it doesn't sound
as good).  Sometimes audio players will have plugins that "normalize" the
levels of the audio they play, but I don't believe there's one that works
system-wide.