backports packaging error today

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 17:04:14 UTC 2009

2009/2/21 D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>:
> It looks like 4.2 just hit backports, so there are a huge number of updates
> downloaded and applied today; unfortunately there seems to be a packaging
> error for those applying the update to intrepid, so people might want to
> hold off on downloading/installing the updates for a day or two (especially
> since it's something like a 300MB download).
>
> The error I got partway through the installation is:
>   package kdebase-runtime-dbg
>        4:4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid1 failed to install/upgrade: trying to
>        overwrite `/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kwalletd.so',
>        which is also in package kdelibs5-dbg
>
> I've filed this as bug 332564.
>
>  Doc

do you happen to have koffice? i always got this same error for a file
shared by koffice and the oxygen icons package.
in all cases, such an error can be solved manually.
you need to install the conflicting package using dpkg, with a
parameter to force overwriting files. this way, the package will be
installed, and the conflicting file will be overwritten, as far as i
know, safely. then you can issue apt-get/aptitude/whatever to contniue
installing the rest of the programs.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems