Xorg is using 88% of my memory

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Feb 21 03:18:12 UTC 2009

Norberto Bensa wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Steven Vollom
> <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Just a suspicion.  It did the same to me a while back, which is why I'm
>>> suggesting it.  If you're not using it, then never mind. :D
>>
>>  I have three plasmoids on my desktop, a digital clock, something to post
>> reminders and a Disk Space plasmoid.  The only open package is Kmail, and
>> when I depress the mouse, I have to wait for every action.
>
> Is there any possibility, that your dying hard drive is making your box
> slow?

Uh-huh.  I just doubled my memory because the drive was thrashing and I
thought I had a memory issue.  I _really_ should have checked the disk
stats.  Yes, it was having trouble swapping, but only because it was having
trouble reading the swap partition. :-(  After inserting the new memory,
the HD promptly gave up!