Removing a package should erase half the system install??

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 22:56:47 UTC 2009

JN> > Ric Moore wrote:
JN> >> I was about to remove totem libparser package when I noted that
JN> >it would > remove gnome games and a bunch of other packages that I
JN> >would think > would have nothing or little to do with totem to the
JN> >extreme of removing > them all. I removed an older version of
JN> >liblua and it erased my entire > KDE install. What's up with all of
JN> >those depends and why is removing one > package heck bent of
JN> >erasing half the total install?? Is there a way to > circumvent
JN> >that? Ric

gnome_games is a meta package that depends on all the games in gnome,
thus if there is one game in that package that requires totem libparser,
then that game will be removed and so will gnome_games. This can be a
bit confusing, and it's a good idea to check whether the packages it is
going to remove are real packages that you want or meta packages that
drag in the things you want and others beside.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |