OT ASUS experience

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 19 02:22:58 UTC 2009

Over the years, I have used ASUS Technologies products with never a failure.
I have remained exclusive in use of their products because of that fact.
Nonetheless, 3 months ago, I finished the purchase of the components for a new
computer.  It took me a year+, because I bid on the items until I got very low
prices on the best of equipment.  In any event, when the last needed component
arrived about 3 + months ago, I installed the components and couldn't get a
BIOS screen.

I noticed that the heat sink fan for the processor was not running, so I took
it off and tested it on another set of fan posts on the motherboard.  The heat
sink fan worked.  The light that indicated power to the motherboard worked,
and the case fans were running.  I could hear the silent spinning of the HDD,
and the DVRW door opened and closed when I pressed the button. The power light
for the computer was on, so it looked to me like a part of the motherboard was
defective.

I contacted ASUS regarding my new defective motherboard.  They sent a list of
things to check.  The list included testing every other electronic piece of
equipment.  I am an old shut-in and it is difficult for me to get to a computer
store.  I told them, but they insisted I have the other components checked.

The church provided transportation for one outing, however they took me to
their repair shop, and they did not have a test board that worked for an AM+
slot required for my processor, so they couldn't test the processor.  Also,
ASUS did not ask for the power supply to be tested at that time, so I did not
think to ask.  In any event after it became a requirement, the power supply
ended up working fine, however, to test it I had to purchase a power supply
tester.

All the memory sticks turned out to work perfectly, leaving only the Processor
and the Motherboard as the possible problem.  I continued to have problems
with getting to a repair shop to test the processor and the extra costs were
piling up.  Additionally everyone I talked with including several from this
list told me that the problem was in the motherboard, so finally I told ASUS
that if they weren't willing to RMA the board, I would write the editors of
some major newspapers about my plight.  Anyway they then gave me an RMA
number.

By now 3 months had passed and I still did not have the defect replaced.
Also, throughout this process, many promises were made, but the only ones that
were kept were the ones I made, with the exception of the checking of the
Processor, a brand new licensed AMD 9600 Quad.  I called around and those
places close enough for me to get to had a minimum bench charge of just under
$100; it was something I could not afford right now.  I was told my processor
was very hard to damage because of the new technology.  They simply shut down
before being affected by any problem less maybe a major power surge.

Heating bills are running higher than my house payment and food prices have
increased 30 to 40% in my area.  My low fixed income retirement has not
increased.  So what was I to do?

After all the broken promises and delays, I was required to pay return
shipping for the defective unit.  Additionally, I had to arrange for someone
to take me to the UPS store, which was and always is difficult.  In any event
ASUS's last promise was that they would get me the return within 9 days.
Today is the tenth day, and no motherboard.  Be assured that the motherboard
was an unopened new motherboard that ASUS acknowledged as sold by one of their
suppliers, so it isn't a question of trying to get improper care.

If I only knew that by purchasing a defective motherboard I would have to lose
over 3 months of my life's use of the motherboard and spend money to test
other manufacturer's components, have additional transportation and shipping
charges, I think I would have requested a working motherboard.  It is easy to
see that a satisfied customer would like ASUS, they make a good product, but if
you are lucky enough to buy one of their defects, be forewarned.

I just hope I live long enough to see my new computer working.

Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired