http://ppa.launchpad.net/

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Feb 18 07:48:58 GMT 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I think I screwed up due to lack of understanding.  If there is
> anything I have learned about linux is that T and t are not the same.

But there is no 'T' or 't' in 'Linux' :)

> I was downloading the PPA for KDE 4.2 so that I could upgrade.  It was
> either through that process or one when I was attempting to download
> kubuntu- restricted-extras that somewhere in the instruction I was
> provided a rather complicated Key.

With "rather complicated key" do you mean the GPG key for the ppa
repository?

> I also remember a time when they
> requested a password.

You only need to provide your password when you start your package
manager. I think you are mixing "key" and "password" here. The packages
are cryptographically signed with a GPG key. On your machine there is a
copy of GPG keys for the Ubuntu repositories. However the key for the ppa
repository is not included. According to the instructions for installing
KDE 4.2 for Intrepid you should add the GPG key for the repository with
the command

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 493B3065 &&
gpg --export -a 493B3065 | sudo apt-key add -

in a terminal. BTW: The command should be in one line even if the email
program makes it several lines. After you have executed this command you
would have to restart your package manager and try again to install the
wanted package.

> I have had problems since not being able to accept Sun Java contracts,
> there was no accept button.  Also I am unable to install or remove
> packages until this is resolved.  This sounds like a new problem.  I
> fear no one will know the cure.

I don't know how adept should handle the Sun Java lisence - maybe you
should install the Java package from a terminal? Then it might be more
obvious what you should do to accept the lisence. And like someone else
suggested already, it might be useful to disable the ppa repository while
you install this package. To install the package from a terminal use
these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin

Nils