Intrepid KDE 4.2 I am locked out of konsole and Adept. both say something is running, but isn't

Eric ejazzkatt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 02:41:32 GMT 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 20:00:53 Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>> New install and upgrade.  I was working in Adept installing restricted
>>> extras when the Sun agreement came on the screen.  This time it did not
>>> provide an accept feature.  I read everything; it did not have the accept
>>> feature.  To get out of the installation I had to Quit.  Next, I opened a
>>> Konsole to make the installation; Konsole said could not connect that
>>> some other operation was still connected.  I went back and reopened Adept
>>> and got the same response. Apparently some operation did not release when
>>> I closed the package.  Can anyone help me.
>>>
>>> Steven
>> Sounds like the package manager hasn't released the lock on the
>> repository. I remember there is a lock file somewhere in /var/apt, and
>> deleting that file after a reboot will ensure that the lock is released.
>> Not sure about the exact name, though.
>>
>> Re the Agree feature, I remember some while ago Adept was broken wrt
>> that functionality. I always use Synaptic instead of Adept for that
>> exact reason.
>> HTH,
>> I.
> There was no /apt in /var, however there was a /lock file, but it was empty.

I also use Synaptic but I have used Adept before. Does Adept open a
window with a switch for details? It seems to me on some occasion when I
was doing an update something similar happened. What ever program I was
using was waiting for input from me but I didn't realize it because I
didn't click on details.

Eric