Dual boot?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 18 02:51:30 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009, Norberto Bensa wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
wrote:
>> Interestingly, while I am booted to the drive connected to sata1, which
>> is "root (hd0,0)", the 400GB Hitachi, plugged into sata2, is "root
>> (hd2,0)" Common sense would have said it would be (hd1,0), but what I see
>> when I tell it root (hd1,0) is identical to (hd0,0). (insert sound of
>> scratching a slowly balding 74 yo head here)
>
>Really weird.
>
>Is it possible that you have RAID configured in your BIOS and your
>sata ports are mislabeled (sata2 is actually sata3)? Then the free
>(sata2) port is a ghost of sata1. I don't know. It is just a wild
>guess (in Argentina we'd say "estoy tirando fruta")

As in not a SWAG, just a WAG?  And no, the motherboards raid is disabled.

>What motherboard is it (vendor/model)?

ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE next to last bios installed as the latest bios results in
a very unstable box.  1502.zip as it sits in /usr/dlds/misc.

>> OTOH, I am booted (f8) to /dev/sdb1 (/boot) and /dev/sdb3 (/), so maybe it
>> makes some sort of perverse sense.  I believe some would say IFM :)
>
>Nope. It doesn't make any sense to me and my head is starting to hurt :-(

So you got the IFM? :-)

>> Thanks you for the hints, they were quite valuable.
>>
>:-)
>:
>> I wasn't able to make adept show me an available listing, has that been
>> removed?
>
>I don't know. I've used Gentoo for almost seven years and recently
>moved to Kubuntu on my laptop, so I have no idea how adept worked or
>looked like. And besides, I'm a CLI man :-)
>
>I'm waiting for Jaunty to be released to move two more boxes to
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
>
>> Next unsilly Q:  I use fetchmail/procmail(with SA) here to pop 3 accounts,
>> placing all the incoming that has gotten past the filters
>> into /var/mail/xxxx, running all the above as that unpriviledged user.
>> I am assuming I can just transplant all the rc files to do that to me
>> (gene) on the Juanty install, possibly with a chown cuz your users start
>> at ID=1000 & up, once fetchmail, procmail, and spamassassin are installed
>> of course.
>
>Yeah. Maybe you'll need to tweak them because of added/removed
>features, but I almost 100% sure those config files will work
>"out-of-the.box".

Good, I'll see if I can get those copied over the next time I boot to that
drive.  It won't do me much good to do the Mail corpus just yet though, not
until I'm ready to switch completely.

>> FWIW, the currently F8 installed version of fetchmail has a very
>> occasional race in MSG_PEEK according to my logs, but if its actually
>> effecting the mail suckage from those 3 pop servers I cannot detect it
>
>I don't know. I'm sorry. I may recall a similar message in dmesg on my
>Gentoo server, but I'm not sure.
>
>> But, if I am to copy my whole 10GB email corpus across, which is all owned
>> by root:root, I'd assume a chown -R gene:mail on that ~/gene/Mail/* would
>> be required there, Correct?
>
>Are you referring to /var/mail/xxxx ? If so, then it should go to
>~/Mail (or /home/gene/Mail to be clear) and owned by gene:mail with
>"chmod -R ug+rw".

procmail dumps what passes in /var/mail/gene, and kmail pulls from there and
sorts to its own folder tree in ~/gene/Mail IIRC.

>Maybe gene:gene would also work but I run a Cyrus imap server so I
>don't really know. Perhaps someone else can help you better than me.
>
>> Any other gotcha's?
>
>Just don't move your messages (copy them) and run fetchmail with '-k'.
>Once you know it works. Remove the original /var/mail/xxx. Then you
>can run fetchmail with '-a' and hopefully your email client has an
>option to remove duplicated messages.

Thanks Norberto, obviously I need to rtfm as the only option I recall is -d
90.  :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)