Intrepid KDE 4.2 I am locked out of konsole and Adept. both say something is running, but isn't

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 18 01:46:48 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 20:00:53 Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > New install and upgrade.  I was working in Adept installing restricted
> > extras when the Sun agreement came on the screen.  This time it did not
> > provide an accept feature.  I read everything; it did not have the accept
> > feature.  To get out of the installation I had to Quit.  Next, I opened a
> > Konsole to make the installation; Konsole said could not connect that
> > some other operation was still connected.  I went back and reopened Adept
> > and got the same response. Apparently some operation did not release when
> > I closed the package.  Can anyone help me.
> >
> > Steven
>
> Sounds like the package manager hasn't released the lock on the
> repository. I remember there is a lock file somewhere in /var/apt, and
> deleting that file after a reboot will ensure that the lock is released.
> Not sure about the exact name, though.
>
> Re the Agree feature, I remember some while ago Adept was broken wrt
> that functionality. I always use Synaptic instead of Adept for that
> exact reason.
> HTH,
> I.
Do I just quit the shell?  As long as I am locked into this working shell, it
will not release.  I looked at all the running apps, and couldn't see anything
that looked like Adept or konsole or any /var entrie.  I am not so
experienced, so I may not understand here.

When I try to open Synaptic, it says it is locked.

Steven