OT - FOSS slide shows

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 03:10:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 15:30 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Sunday 15 Feb 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 15:27 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> > > This morning I had a meeting with one of my friends at the central
> library, to
> > > arrange to hold some FOSS publicity events.
> > >
> > > We think we can get hold of a digital projector, but what we need is some
> > > publicity material to show to attract some attention.
> > >
> > > Does anybody please know of any slide shows we could use for this purpose?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Are you looking for anything in particular?
> What we are thinking would be a good first approach, would be to try to
> introduce software that can be used on multiple operating systems such as
> Open Office. That is how I got started - by installing Open Office and using
> it with windoze instead of Word Perfect for a while, then did a dual boot
> installation, gradually moved my data from the MS partition over to Linux,
> learnt to do back ups, email, etc.
>
> If we can catch some attention as people enter the library on a Saturday, it
> may be possible to interest them in free stuff and gradually start them
> sliding down the slippery slope towards using Linux :-)
>
> So, what I think would be useful would be any slide shows, if any, that have
> been prepared on Open Office, the Gimp, Audacity I think, that run on both
> windoze and Linux. I know that there are also LaTeX packages for both
> systems, but that might be a bit hard core for our purposes.

Most apps that use java will work across Windows, Linux and OS/X. I use
Sun's "Wonderland' Project a bunch for 3D development in our project.
While we users of differing OS's may put stuff in different locations,
it's nifty to see the commonality of problems that cross the boundaries,
too. So, they recommend using Ubuntu, which is what they use for server
side, and serve X11 applications from within the 3D world. It is cool as
anything to see firefox open by an avatar within the 3D world, who uses
the app in front of other clients in the same world. It's got telephony,
spatial sounds, a client side that is enabled just from a browser that
can handle Java. Really nifty. You can dnload movies and slide shows
from YouTube, if you just search on java and wonderland as key words.
It's still in pre-release testing. But it is pretty impressive. Here's
the project URL:  https://lg3d-wonderland.dev.java.net/

Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/