kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 49, Issue 63

Ray Burke rayburke30 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 01:06:02 UTC 2009

Gohlip,

I shall try and explain again,

I have dual boot xppro hdo 80gb drive c/Kubuntu hd1 40gb drive d-
and two switchable hdd racks (80gb xp pro bkup& 40gb Me o/s)that I have to switch before I boot if want them on
which under windows show as drive E and L not sure of hd address.

when I booting into Kubuntu or Xp pro ,and switch the racks on, it comes up with error 17
but when I have them switch off is boots with the grub ok.

I have my Kubuntu bkup 40gb in the usb Hdd that I can switch on ok when in Kubuntu.

so all I want is to be able to switch on the racks and boot to either xp pro or K

but the new problem is that I tried to install another dual boot app called GAG and lost
my mbr that has grub in it on the xp pro disk, so it boots dirst to xp pro, and need to copy
from the backup xp pro to original xp pro

understand?????????

ray> From: gohlip at operamail.com> To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:37:46 +0800> Subject: Re: kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 49, Issue 63> > > > Ray wrote:> Gohlip,> > have now lost my grub loader thru trying another dual boot app GAG, that resided on> my original xp pro hdd0, so I am trying to find out how to copy the MBR that resides on my xp pro> backup copy back to the original?????> > Yes these are switchable removable racks that are switch in/out before boot loading(when> switch on power to computer) and I dont understand the dual grub??????> and I use my dual boot quite often both Kubuntu and xp pro, when I had a dual boot> system with xp pro and windows ME I was able to switch in/out the racks with no problems> as they were always recognized and these are my backups for both drives?????> > drives c (XP), d (Kubuntu), e (bkup XP) are on 1 hard drive. > No seperate drives> > > o drive L (bkup Kubuntu) is on the 'rackable' external separate drive.> No drive L is in external usb hdd, when booted up switch in> and backup for xp pro and my old Me o/s in rackable drives, of which> I will turn the Me o/s to backup Kubuntu when it is recognized> > > o you can access XP (drive c), Kubuntu (drive d) and bkupXP (drive> > e) using the grub menu. It's just you cannot access your bkup Kubuntu (drive L).> can acess drive c and d and backup K thru grub but cant access the rackable drives> > raay> PS wont due the below steps until we have a firm grip on the situation OK> > ####End of Ray wrote.#####> > Ray, you were meant to send the menu.lst files separately direct to me. You could reply through the list. You did not send the print outs, right? But, nevermind, let's get on with it. > > To recap,> o You need back the grub menu back.> o Your rackable drive L is actually a usb hdd. (ah)> > Let's get back your grub menu. You do not want your original XP boot back, otherwise you can only boot to XP. If this is what you want, there is a way to that. Let us know and somebody else can help you with this. I am not exactly sure it's fix mbr or something else. Vista and XP has slightly different ways of getting back the mbr's. Could google for it though.> > I now understand you cannot boot up Kubuntu. Do not plug in the usb hdd. Use the live Kubuntu cd,> open up a terminal,> type "sudo grub"> > at grub> type "find boot/grub/stage1"> you should see only one entry and it should say> (hd0,1)> > at grub> type "root (hd0,1)" > {if the listing say something else, type this something else instead of (hd0,1))> > at grub> type "setup (hd0)"> at grub> type "quit"> > You're done.> > > Okay, the usb hdd.> Most computers should be able to boot up from usb drives, either through pressing esc key or other function keys, F12 at start-up.> That would be the easiest way. Please try this.> > - - -> The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.> - - - William Shakespeare> > > > > > > > > > > -- > _______________________________________________> Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:> Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com> > Powered by Outblaze> > -- > kubuntu-users mailing list> kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users