know of another dual boot program rather than grub

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Sun Feb 15 11:09:29 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:
> type "fdisk -lu"
> You should see
> sda1
> sda2
> sda3
> sdb1 (or something like that)
>
> Copy the print-up, you may need to post it.
>
> Now if you don't see sdb1 (or something like that), Horrors, your bios could not detect your 'rackable' hard drive. Stop here, get a hard drive your bios can detect.

Wile I perfectly agree that in this case, your Bios most probably will
not detect your hard drive, I would draw a different conclusion:

Simply accept that "at Bios / Grub time" you cannot access your
rack-drive(s). Then change your strategy and use your rack drive(s) form
the running operating system(s), ex. for data partitions and/or backup
purposes.

[...]

> Personal opinion- who needs a back up for Linux? Just back up your data. Have a separate home partition, perfect.

New versions, new distro, use the same home partition. Windows? It's a
mess reinstalling all those applications.

Still, back up the whole OS? Planning a missile launch? Use RAID. Better
still, use Linux. Best? Make peace.

This imho entirely depends on what you intend to do.

Surely one could imagine situations where an OS backup makes sense and
thus will provide peace (of mind).

Eberhard