Subject: Using all new components with no OS installed, , > How do I, install the BIOS. Intrepid 64 at completion.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 13 05:08:23 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 February 2009, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> Mostly good guess work.  Try for the mean between globbing it on and a
>> transparent coat.  There is probably some play in the amount, however,
>> too much or too little and the heat transfer in the arctic silver won't
>> function properly.
>> Once again, moderation.
>
>What do I apply it with, my finger?
>
>Steven

Recommended, right on the package arctic silver comes in, is to put on a vinyl
throwaway glove, put a dab about the size of a book match head on the end of
the finger, and spread it as thin as it will go.  Basically you want the
color to be uniform but you should be able to see some of the printing
through it.  If you put enough on it to squeeze out when you pull down the
clamps, that's too much, it should be no thicker than the size of the
colloidal silver particles in the silicone grease medium for best heat
transfer.  I haven't tried it, but I'd guess we're not talking about more
than .0001" of it.  That is one ten thousandth of an inch.  And I don't
believe my 0-1" micrometer could reliably measure the difference between
clean anvils and one anvil with the right coating on it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)