sligthly OT: fstab can be evil..

P Kapat kap4lin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 18:55:54 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:01 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> just to help someone else avoid getting in the jam I did..
>>>
>>> the computer (8.04.1 with all updates) ran an diskcheck on boot and
>>> prompted something re "line 7 in fstab wrong" but booted nicely.
>>>
>>> So I went to System Settings, Advanced and "Disk and Filesystems". Noted
>>> that the "/" partion was not Enabled and "fixed" that.
>>>
>>> On next boot I get about 20 lines of errors
>>> "etc/init.d/rc:317:sed:permission denied "/bin/sh"" .
>>> Booting to a shell did not work either, nor an older kernel.
>>>
>>> Booted with Knoppix and after much running around files found that my
>>> "enabling" had added an extra line for the root partition in fstab so
>>> there were now 2 lines. Deleted the "new" line and all was fine.
>>>
>>> conclusion: if it aint broken don't fix it when it comes to fstab
>>
>> My conclusion would be slightly different - whether or not it's broken,
>> don't try to fix it via "System Settings".  At the very least, look at what
>> System Settings has done...
> I sort of agree but would say that fstab is best left alone unless you
> really know what you are doing or/and experience problems.

au contraire, i have always poured my heart to the fstab :) (nano/pico
was the tool and not "system settings"). I also comment very liberally
in there.

With a bunch of partitions, of which I do not want to mount the backup
partition automatically with every boot, let alone allow _user_ to
mount/umount it, I think fstab has always been helpful.

Spending some time (ala lending your eyes and ears to) with "man
fstab" and "man mount" will pay the dividend.

--
Regards
PK