know of another dual boot program rather than grub

Goh Lip gohlip at operamail.com
Fri Feb 13 14:50:15 UTC 2009

Ray Burke wrote:

> does any one know of another dual boot program rather than grub to boot
> both win xp pro and Kubuntu, as Grub does not allow my bkup hdd's mointed in
> removable hdd racks like when in xp pro but now using grub as dual
> boot fails with
> error 17, so need another program for this dual boot
>
> ray

Ray, you can also try GAG at http://gag.sourceforge.net.

Personally, still find grub best. Maybe you need to configure your menu.lst for the mounted hdd. Better still, use multi-grub where you have more than 2 linux distro or need to try out new versions, say kde4 when you are happy with kde3 or unstable alpha versions; or/plus beta Windows7 with Vista as well. You can have your production OS and experimental OS on the same computer. Watch out though, grub on older kernel will not 'see' ext4 partitioned grubs(jaunty); you need to redo the grub partition with the new kernel.

BTW, I use the GAG (on CDRom) for other people's computer when they lose their access recently when they tried to dual boot Vista with Windows7. Ha!

Good luck.