Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 14:02:27 GMT 2009

Dear Everybody

About two weeks ago, I started this  thread. Thx. for all your useful
feedback so far; I have been trying access the external HD by means of
checking it. However,  there are still one or more missing links. I
hope the details below can help some amongst you to deliver me some
key to some workable solution.

> Now to your problem:
> You cannot access the Windows partitions (FAT32 and NTFS) with Kubuntu on your laptop,

When working with Kubuntu 8.10, I have exactly the same problem when I
attach the external HD to both the desktop and laptop.

> but you can access them with Windows OS on your desktop (this means, the HD isn't
> broken).

Exactly.

> Can you access the HD with your Kubuntu OS on your *desktop*?

So far not yet. As stated above: I have exactly the same problem at
both machines when working with Kubuntu 8.10.

> If not, it is a  Kubuntu/Linux problem (unsuported HD, since the USB port of your desktop is working
> properly).

This is correct.

> If you can, it's a problem of your laptops usb port (e.g. your USB is
> broken or not supported, or whatever). But you can access your memorystick, I suppose?

The USB ports of both the desktop and the laptop do function properly,
as far as I can see. I do manage to access USB sticks and even a
digital camara.

At a terminal, I managed to reveal the presence of the external HD by
means of some lsusb tests.
A lsusb test without any extra USB device delivers the following report:

bas at Viaconsensus1:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

When I poke the USB interface connector of the external HD into one
specific USB port, and then again carry out the lsusb test, this first
line simply VANISHES:
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader

After removing again the USB interface connector and carrying out a
3rd lsusb test, the '..Media Card Reader' pops up again.

After poking in the USB interface connector of the ext. HD in another
USB port, a 4th lsusb test delivers an extra line with respect to 'Bus
001':
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 067b:3507 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL3507
ATAPI6 Bridge.

The whole terminal report looks then as follows:
bas at Viaconsensus1:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 067b:3507 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL3507 ATAPI6 Bridge

So, the media card reader pops up again and the external HD is
apparently linked to the USB port called 'Bus 001'.
After disconnecting the external HD, the '...ATAP16 Bridge' also
vanishes again from the lsusb list. So, it is clear that the external
USB HD is being identified anyway.

I have tried to fix the problem by taking into account instructions
pointed at in this passage and the Ubuntu forums archive indicated
there::

>I believe that if you simply add it to your /etc/fstab and make sure that "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged"
> is selected in the Removable Storage preference panel you should be all set.
> take a look here ---
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-16427.html

This sounds reasonable. But can someone explain me where or how I can
find the so-called "Removable Storage preference panel"? Via 'system
settings' I did not yet manage to find it.

I did manage to discover the script in the  "/etc/fstab" file at my
PC. Both without and with the external HD it remains the same so far:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
UUID=ba8ed3a1-6288-4a47-aec7-51f3d1589f39 /               ext3
relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=5e577ada-d9f2-404f-8fcf-c8720198ced8 none            swap    sw
           0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

Is there anything I would need to add or modify in etc/fstab?

Is there anything else I could do to fix the problem?

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus