kubuntu8.10: opengeu-desktop has unmet dependencies:

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed Feb 11 07:19:10 UTC 2009

Hello. I've been a kubuntu user since breezy. And a dedicated kde
user for longer than that...

I installed intrepid in a spare partition on my old 1Ghz athalon a while
ago. I spent some time and much frustration with the diff between kde
3.x and kde 4.x... I had almost given up before I finally had it
configured close enough to what I wanted for me to stand it. But I've
seen the way kde.org is going, And I wasn't happy. Thus after a bit of
searching for an alternative WM that I could stand. I discovered "E"
Within a week I had e 16 installed and reasonably well configured on
Kubuntu 8.10 (a kde4 system) OpenSuSE 11.0 (with kde3) and Sabayon 3.5
(kde3). I found that I liked it just as well as kde3 and better than kde4

The next step was to do the same for my amd_64 laptop. But it's Kubuntu
was still Hardy... Well since I was going to spend most of my time in E I
figured I might as well apt-get upgrade it to Intrepid first...

The upgrade went well enough but I'm having even more difficulty with
kde4 on this than on the one I installed from cd on the desktop. And In
my googling around about E on intrepid I discovered this link:
http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=979313
which sounded like I might as well add:
deb http://greenie.sk/ubuntu intrepid e17
deb http://greenie.sk/ubuntu intrepid opengeu
to the sources.list & do the:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install opengeu-desktop
though after a bit of man page reading I went with:
# apt-get --allow-unauthenticated   install opengeu-desktop

(Because I didn't have a clue how to get the public key for greenie.)

???????????????????????????? how does one do that???

It may be a moot point however. I read enough to know that opengeu was
made for gnome. But since kubuntu & ubuntu share the same repos I
figured that it would just install as much of gnome as it needed...
But either that was a bad thing to have thunk that. Or something else is
wrong...

=> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
=> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
=> that package should be filed.

Since greenie isn't exactly a sanctioned repo, and I was trying to
install to a kde system, I'm not thinking I should bother with the bug
report.

=> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
=>
=> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
=>   opengeu-desktop: Depends: opengeu-theme-luna-crescente but it is not going to be installed
=>                    Depends: geutheme but it is not going to be installed
=>                    Depends: e17-settings-daemon but it is not installable
=>                    Depends: e17-settings-daemon-config-opengeu but it is not installable
=> E: Broken packages
UnderTree -> /etc #

My solution (for now) was to comment out the greenie repo lines,
"apt-get update" and "apt-get install e16"...

I am however curious if anyone has done this with a "kde" intrepid or
can otherwise shed some light on the problem...