4.2 seems to be missing lots of stuff

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Feb 10 02:23:05 UTC 2009

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I just "updated" my laptop to 4.2 using the procedure outlined at
> www.kubuntu.org.
>

> It seems to be more or less useless, and missing a ton of stuff that I rely on.
>
> Just to state the things that I've come across in about the first 30 seconds:
>   plasma_applet_notes
>   kwifimanager
>   showdashboard
>   quickaccess
>
> I tried to install kwifimanager (since my wireless seems to be dead
> following the "upgrade"), and received the following message:
>
> ---
>
>   Package kwifimanager has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of
> a sources list.
>
> ---
>
> At this point I just want to go back to 4.1, which at least had the merit
> of working.
>
> So what do I do to get back to the usual Kubuntu 8.10 4.1.x version of KDE?
>
>   Doc

I've never had to use Kwifimanager. Knetworkmanager has always worked
just fine for connecting to wifi networks, both at home and out and about.

I just let adept updater do it's thing and the Quick Access and Quick
Launch widgets were both available. Adding programs to the Quick Launch
is a bit annoying but functions just fine.

Looking through the list of widgets I see "Notes - Desktop sticky notes"
available. I assume that's what your talking about. Also "Show Widget
Dashboard - Show the Plasma widget dashboard above other windows". Is
that what your talking about.

Click on the "cashew" on the far right of the task bar and "Add
Widgets". Everything should be there.