a good desktop for kubuntu

Alan Dacey GrokIt at ajinfosearch.com
Sun Feb 8 13:54:16 GMT 2009

Patricia Wilson wrote:
> I have been asked to specify a good Intel/AMD desktop for Linux to be
> used for development work. Anyone know of any dogs or any really good
> systems? I am currently looking at a Dell Precision line which comes
> with Red Hat pre-installed. Anyone know of systems that can be ordered
> with Kubuntu installed?
>
> --
> Patricia Wilson
> Apache Junction, AZ
> Member NRA, ARRL
> WB8DXX

I don't know exactly what else you need it for, but I put together something for
you to build here: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishLists.aspx
Search the shared wish lists for 'a good desktop for kubuntu'. (it was just
posted so if you don't see it, just wait a bit)
It is a complete system that will run fairly quickly so you should not have any
problem compiling.  I built a similar system for my cousin that worked fine
running Kubuntu.  The graphics are modest but will run anything Compiz or Kwin
can throw at it.  The hard drive is only 250 GB, you may want to get a larger
one if you will be saving huge amounts of code or music/movies. There is 4GB of
memory but you can double that if you are going to run 64-bit.  19" widescreen.
Total cost $630 USD
Hope that helps.

Alan

--
"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept.  If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in