UUID and devices

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 21:29:24 GMT 2009

hi ,
i tend to use devices in their /dev/sdxy format more than i use UUIDs
since it's a lot simpler to memorize, and for other reasons.
but, on many occasions i'd temprarily add another hard drive,
temprarily remove one of the hard drives,and this messes up stuff.
for example, linux is on /dev/sdb now, if i take out my windows drive
(/dev/sda), sdb becomes sda, and this confuses stuff up.
so my question, is there anyway i can attach /dev stuff with a certain
UUID? let the system know that *this* UUID is *always* called sdb1 for
example, can i do such thing?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems