a good desktop for kubuntu

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sat Feb 7 22:19:09 UTC 2009

On Saturday 07 February 2009 20:37:45 Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Build it yourself with an Asus motherboard and a Western Digital hard
> drive. You won't get any better than that. As for the processor, I am
> partial to AMD though I am currently using a dual-core Intel on this
> laptop and it is a very enjoyable processor (it is my first dual-core
> processor, though).

I always recommend something similar, although I used a Seagate SATA drive and
an Asus board with a GBP20 fanless, PCI Express graphics card.

My choice of processor was an AMD dual core energy efficient unit with a large
OCZ copper pipe heatsink. This heatsink choice for a low power processor may
sound a little daft, but with a huge area of aluminium vanes on the copper
pipes and a relatively large fan, the fan runs at minimum speed and the
processor runs nearly cold.

Also, choose an 80+ power supply. My Antec case came with one ready fitted.

If gaming performance is not needed, I say build a system similar to mine.
With energy efficient components, no tiny graphics card fan, and the
processor, case and power supply fans all running at low speed, the whole
system runs almost cold and almost silent.

Just my opinion.

Dave