How to add the €-sign to the key-board of a laptop with Kubuntu 8.10?. SOLVED!

Neil Winchurst barnaby at drofle.com
Sat Feb 7 08:47:25 UTC 2009

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> Thanks for the feedback of all of you.
>
>> Have you tried the compose key?  I think this is a more general
>> solution.  It will allow you to insert the euro sign, and many other
>> characters.  I have my compose key set to the "Application" key
>> (http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/keyboard/#Application) also known
>> as "Menu", but it can be set to any key.
>
> This appeared to be the key to a solution, however in a slightly different way.
> I shifted the COMPOSE key function from ALT-GR to APPLICATION or
> 'MENU' - as suggested above.  Now, I do get the € sign: via ALT-GR +
> e-key and via ALT-GR+ 5-key. Probably because:...
> * I assigned the € function via XKB options to both the 5 and the e keys.
> * the COMPOSE key function conflicted with the  € sign, when ALT-GR was compose.
>
> I am happy with this solution anyway. Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Bas.

I suppose it depends on the keyboard. My keyboard has the € sign on it
already. It is the third character on the number 4 key. If I just press
the key I get a 4, if I press shift and the key I get a dollar sign, $,
and if I press Alt Gr and the key I get the euro sign €.

I have a compose key set up but I can't get it to give me a euro sign so
far. Still, that hardly matters does it?

Neil