UUID and devices

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 22:49:20 UTC 2009

2009/2/7 Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>:
> 2009/2/6 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987 at gmail.com>:
>>> hi ,
>>> i tend to use devices in their /dev/sdxy format more than i use UUIDs
>>> since it's a lot simpler to memorize, and for other reasons.
>>> but, on many occasions i'd temprarily add another hard drive,
>>> temprarily remove one of the hard drives,and this messes up stuff.
>>> for example, linux is on /dev/sdb now, if i take out my windows drive
>>> (/dev/sda), sdb becomes sda, and this confuses stuff up.
>>> so my question, is there anyway i can attach /dev stuff with a certain
>>> UUID? let the system know that *this* UUID is *always* called sdb1 for
>>> example, can i do such thing?
>>>

>> a possible answer for my self. the links in /dev/disk, are they
>> created after each boot? if so, then i can be sure that links in
>> /dev/disk/by-id ALWAYS point to the correct device, right? if that's
>> the case, can one use these links in fstab?
>>

> I don't think you can asume that all entries in /dev/disk/by-id/ would
> be uniq, what if you have two similar drives? I must be better to use
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/ in that case.

the partition i'm mainly concerned about changes it's UUID all the
time, i reformat it and give it a new uuid almost every 2 days, in
by-id the serial number ofthe hard disk is used, i can't see how 2
disks can be mistaken. and in anyways, i have 4 hard drives from 4
different makers, my question, can i use the links in any of the
/dev/disk sub-directories in fstab?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems