Re: How to add the €-sign to the key-board of a laptop with Kubuntu 8.10?. SOLVED!

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 23:53:50 UTC 2009

Hello everybody

Thanks for the feedback of all of you.

> Have you tried the compose key?  I think this is a more general
> solution.  It will allow you to insert the euro sign, and many other
> characters.  I have my compose key set to the "Application" key
> (http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/keyboard/#Application) also known
> as "Menu", but it can be set to any key.

This appeared to be the key to a solution, however in a slightly different way.
I shifted the COMPOSE key function from ALT-GR to APPLICATION or
'MENU' - as suggested above.  Now, I do get the € sign: via ALT-GR +
e-key and via ALT-GR+ 5-key. Probably because:...
* I assigned the € function via XKB options to both the 5 and the e keys.
* the COMPOSE key function conflicted with the  € sign, when ALT-GR was compose.

I am happy with this solution anyway. Thanks for your feedback.

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus
BasRoufs at gmail.com