KDE after Gnome

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Thu Feb 5 19:04:34 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 18:55:26 Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 08:58 +0100, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> >  Only issue here is that you'll have to choose between
> > display managers kdm and gdm, but that's a no-brainer.
>
> Being somewhat brainless, exactly what is the difference between
> them? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks, Ric

In technical terms, such as speed or performance, I don't think
there's any. Gnome applications run on kdm and KDE applications run
on gdm. At least I can't tell the difference.

The 'look and feel' is slightly different though. For example the
login screen which is far more configurable in kdm.

When I installed Gnome first and then KDE (and later XFCE) the system
defaulted to use gdm. Thus I had two display managers running, but
only one in use. Apart from wasting disk space it didn't matter. But
you can switch between the two by typing (in a terminal):

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

which will give you a choice.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux Kubuntu 8.10 *********