KDE after Gnome

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Thu Feb 5 07:58:37 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 02:47:27 Paul Clark wrote:
> noob question: Kbuntu is Ubuntu withe KDE correct? If tha tis
> true, which is better -- fresh install of KDE or Fresh Of Ubuntu
> and adding  Kde... which one would be fatse rperformace wise and
> have less redundancies --> I guess what I am trying to say, is
> what are the MAJOR if any differnces in kbuntu v ubuntu

That's the problem I had. Kubuntu  8.10 wouldn't install, so I
installed Ubuntu 8.10 without a hiccup. Then KDE 4.1 on top of it.
But KDE was unusable so I had Gnome (and later Xfce) as work
environments. Only issue here is that you'll have to choose between
display managers kdm and gdm, but that's a no-brainer.

Anyway, after KDE 4.2 came out things improved so much that I can
use it now. So I switched the display manager back to kdm.

I just tried  Kubuntu 9.04 alpha live-CD, and it seems to work even
better.

So, if you are able to install Kubuntu and update it to KDE 4.2,
I'll recommend just that.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux Kubuntu 8.10 *********