wine and outlook

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:23:22 UTC 2009

Mike Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:00 AM, Matthew Flaschen
> <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
>> O. Sinclair wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried using Outlook under Wine?
>>>
>>> Why am I asking - a person has a huge outlook.pst file and we are trying
>>> to move her to Kubuntu Kmail. Instead of setting up a new account in
>>> Thunderbird (windows) as she is already using that too and then import
>>> from Outlook and then move to Kubuntu and import to Kmail...
>> Why not just use Thunderbird under Kubuntu?  Then, only one import.
>>

> I'm looking for the same solution and I can tell you one reason
> Thunderbird won't work - calendar.  If your company uses calendaring
> extensively and has Exchange then Thunderbird won't work.

this is beyond what I am looking for - I just want the data from an
existing Outlook to be available for historical reasons. Kontact works
fine otherwise "from now on".

To install Thunderbird on the Windows PC and then import from Outlook -
then move the mbox-files to linux and then import into Kontact is the
way "normally". Problem is she already also use Thunderbird on the
windows pc for a separate mail account "non-business" and I am uncertain
if thunderbird can import to a separate account.

So the idea is/was to run OL 2003 on the linux using wine so she can
access existing mail, nothing else. No downloading mail, no Exchange
(shudder) etc.