More dumb newbie questions

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Feb 2 21:50:35 GMT 2009

John Desmond wrote:
> Salutations, gentlefolk !

Welcome to Linux World!

> I recently switched from Windows to Kubuntu Linux 8.04.1, kernel
> 2.6.24-14, KDE 3.5.10, and am wondering how to deal with the following
> annoyances.
>
> 1 - Desktop icons - I'd like to change the icons so that 'file folder A'
>   is represented by one icon on my Desktop, while 'File Folder B', File
> Folder C', and so on, have different icons.  But when I click on
> 'Properties' for that folder, then 'Select Icon - K Desktop', and pick a
> new icon for that folder, the system uses _that_ icon for _all_ file
> folders on the desktop.  How do I change that ?

Easy, if I understand you correctly:
With the folder icon on the desktop, right click Properties,
then left click the icon area at the top left of the properties
window.....

There is a bunch of choice, and if you really want to, there is a way
of creating your own icon, I looked it up once.
hth

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391