No more "me too" posts.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 07:00:05 UTC 2009

Cross posted to both Kubuntu and Ubuntu mailing lists.

Very often posters ask questions on the *buntu lists, and they are
followed up by one or five "doesn't work for me either" posts. Don't
do that. And don't ask for the solution "if you find one".

These mailing lists are public. When you clutter up a thread with "me
too" posts it becomes difficult to find the solutions and the
developments in the threads. You are making it _harder_ to come to a
solution. And there is no need to request a solution: if a solution
materializes, it will be posted in the thread. If you really, really
feel the uncontrollable urge to self-identify with the OP then do it
off list, but keep all problem solving on-list. Furthermore, if an OP
does find the solution to a problem by himself, it is expected that he
will post back with the solution.

The only case where I could justify making a "post the solution" post
public is when the OP solves his problem then does not post the
solution. In that case, beat it out of him!

Happy *Buntuing.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü