re Kubuntu 8.04 dual boot clonning using ghost

Justin eqisow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 12:50:11 GMT 2009

Let me see if I can parse that... you have Kubuntu and Windows XP on
separate drives, XP is master. Now, after ghosting XP, you have XP as master
and no Kubuntu drive?

If that's the case, it would create exactly the problem you described. Grub
is installed on the Windows disk MBR, and is setup to look for the /boot
files on the second Kubuntu hard drive. Because that drive isn't there, it
errors out. There are two fixes for this, depending on whether you want a
dual boot again or whether you want just Windows.

For a dual boot, put the Kubuntu drive back. It may boot like that, if it
doesn't you will need to boot the Kubuntu install disk into rescue mode,
chroot to your Kubuntu install, and run 'grub-install' targeting the Windows
drive.

If you just want Windows back, use a Windows XP install CD to get to the
recovery console then run fixmbr and fixboot.