Kubuntu 8.10 does not recognise external HD with NTFS and FAT32 partitions.

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:53:44 UTC 2009

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear everybody
>
> At present, I am trying to access and mount from Kubuntu 8.10 an
> external HD with two partitions:
> * an NTFS partition of 365 GB (free: 157 GB)
> * a FAT-32 partition of 100 GB (free: 80 GB).
> The device has a USB 2.0 interface cable which I plugged in in a USB
> drive. However, I did not yet manage to identify the device in any way
> I could think about. So far, I fruitlessly tried it via Dolphin,
> Konqueror,the 'new devices widget', Mount Manager, Disk Manager and
> the terminal. In a recent thread with a similar subject, I did not
> find any key for the problem I am dealing with.
>
> On the other hand, the Windows XP partition does recognise both
> partitions of the device. The same applies for the MacOS partition on
> another PC. Does anybody have a clue what I could do to access this
> external HD from Kubuntu 8.10?
>
> I really would appreciate your help. Respectfully yours,

I posted on this before.  Check the archives.  It seems to be a Kubuntu
bug as mine mounts fine on Ububtu and XP, but not Kubuntu.  It seems
Kubuntu has a problem with USB  powered hard drives, but not with those
that have their own power supply.  I managed to get this working with a
"sort of Y" connector by plugging it into two USB ports to double the
power.  I have this problem with two Kubumtu boxes, and don't have the
problem with two Ubuntu boxes.