Last 100 changed files?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 00:24:10 UTC 2009

John Culleton wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2009 06:00:54 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> Is there a way that a user can list the last 100 changed files in
>> his home directory? I mean to do this _without_ resorting to the
>> console? See the comments here for why I ask:
>> http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/27/display-last-100-changed-files/
>>
>> --
>> Dotan Cohen
>>

> It would not be that difficult to write a program to do this.  That is
> what someone did for windows.  But I don't know what the market for
> such a program would be, or how slow it would run.

All the program would have to do is run the appropriate CLI command and
splat the results into a window.  Something similar to: "find ~ -ctime 1
-printf "%CY-%Cm-%Cd %CH:%CM:%CS %p\n" | sort -r | head -100".  All the
hard work is done by the CLI tools, the program would just have to throw
it into a window.  It could probably be done with something like TCL/Tk
that can produce a simple GUI.  Some filtering might need to happen,
though, because you get a lot of thumbnails and miscellaneous files
updated by the system.  Excluding any directory or filename that starts
with a "." might be enough, however.

Paul