Recent severe printing/scanning problems - USB-connected HP OfficeJet 6310

john d. herron paradox.herron at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 29 19:26:46 UTC 2009

Hi, all.

Until about a month ago I was happily printing and scanning on my
stand-alone (not networked) workstation with this all-in-one device,
without any particular set-up.
Then, in order to accommodate a PDF-manipulation utility called PDF
Studio which also has a scan-in facility, I was told I needed to
activate two modules to enable scanning from this utility: xinetd and
saned, so I could scan with it via a 'Morena source selector'. As it
turned out, I was totally unable to set up a connection with this Morena
selector, so I'm now using that otherwise very useful utility without
the scan function.

But since then, severe printing problems have arisen.

The printer does respond to routine commands (for instance, it does
print out a test page, carry out cartridge cleaning and the like), but
will not print  any document to paper (printing to a file works OK) from
e.g. OpenOffice 3.1.1, even though the HPLIP Device Manager sees that a
print job is initiated and then completed. Also, the printer's GUI has
changed, now listing CUPS as the interface.
Scan jobs, that used to be initiated and completed on the spot (via
gscan2pdf), now need to be launched in a console via scanimage and it
takes about 1 minute for the printer's scanner to be recognized.
Gscan2pdf and Xsane don't recognize the scanner module at all!

At some point I must've messed up something pretty badly in my
configuration. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me
straighten out this mess I created?

Thanks!

john
Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron