SW for making notes on reading text file.

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Dec 27 22:55:25 UTC 2009

john_re wrote:
> What's great sw that enables commenting, underlining & highlighting in colors onto text or html files?  Like what one could do while reading print materials - magazine or book?
>
> So, I'd like to use this on a web page with any "article" like text. & also on regular .txt plain text files.
>
> Anyone use this currently?  I'm thinking today's college students, who are doing lots of reading, & likely more & more computer downloaded material, might be a large category of users for this.

You can highlight text in an HTML document very simply. If you
understand HTML this <div style="border-left:4px solid #ff0000;font:18px
arial;padding-left:5px;"> gives a solid line on the left side of a
section to bring attention to the text next to it. Kind of like if you
drew a line down the side of a section of text in a book. And, <span
style="background-color:yellow;"> is just like you used a felt tip
highlighter to mark a sentence in a book. Don't forget the closing tags.

The first tag puts a 4 pixel solid red line on the left side of any text
enclosed by the opening tag and the closing tag. The text is 18 pixel
arial font padded  5 pixels to the right. You can change sizes and
colors in the tag for different effects.

The second tag does just what it says above. Puts a backgrond color
under any text enclosed by the tags. If you want different colors for
differing levels of importance just change the color in the tag.

I don't know of any way to do it with a plain text document. I don't
know if something like Open Office has a method either. It's not a
function I've needed very often but handy to know.

I don't know about the great part but there's Quanta. I say I don't know
about the great part because it's mostly broken in KDE 4.x. Still has
all the basic functions but the plugins for the higher functions don't
work. The last round of updates for KDE killed off the spell check
function. There's talk of an upgrade next year to bring up to KDE 4.x
compliance. I sure hope so. IMHO, up until KDE 4.x it was the best
editing software out there.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop