Mplayer does not work in Karmic [partly SOLVED]

Perry pwhite at bluewin.ch
Sun Dec 27 15:17:03 UTC 2009

Le Sunday 27 December 2009 15.20:31 Perry, vous avez écrit (you wrote) :
> Hi,
>
> Mplayer does not work in Karmic (it does in Jaunty)
> It pops out: "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo)
>  device." Clicking OK and sound works but no image.
> I tried version from normal repos and from
> <https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/testing> after having read that it
>  helped someone.
> I'm not using Dragon Player because I'm looking for a program able to
>  handle .srt for subtitling.
>
> Any suggestion for a cure or another suitable program.
>
> Thanks in advance		Perry

Follow up:

I got it working directly from a shell.
Launching the .flv from GUI, even "in a terminal" did not do the trick.
I will try to downgrade because the testing version suppressed the gui
controls.
And then I will have to tackle the encoding problem (for files I exchange with
M$ users)...Still some work up front.

Cheers		Perry

--
BOFH excuse #333: A plumber is needed, the network drain is clogged