UPDATE: Firefox 3.5.x for Kubuntu 8.04

Tony Sivori TonySivori at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 25 19:54:57 UTC 2009

Tony Sivori wrote:

> Anyone who has found it difficult to get Firefox 3.5.x onto Kubuntu 8.04
> might want to try this. Add this to your sources:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
>
> Open Adept, and Firefox 3.5 will be listed. Currently it will install
> 3.5.8pre. It automatically uninstalled 3.0, and it gave me the option to
> update my plug ins, which I accepted. All went well, and bookmarks, plug
> ins, and preferences were retained.
>
> More info here:
>
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=hardy

Update. Except for couple of very small glitches, Firefox 3.5.8pre is
working well for me on 8.04, including Java, Flash, and the extensions
that I use, which are AdBlock Plus and DownThemAll (a download manager).

I like the new Firefox. The new tab in one click, reopen mistakenly closed
tabs, and private browsing mode are the standout improvements for me.
Seems to open quicker too.

Unfortunately for me, the upgrade did not fix a website that used to work
with Firefox, but stopped working a while back. Which was my reason for
upgrading a browser that was otherwise working well. I guess I'll try
contacting the webmaster.

The glitches. After a reboot, the familiar Firefox icon on the Quick
Launch bar was replaced by the generic gear icon for an executable.

I didn't bother to get the old Firefox icon, find the proper location, and
put it there. I just right clicked the gear icon, then "Configure
Firefox Web Browser Button", then click the gear icon on the General
tab, change selection from "system icons" to "other icons", then
select "Firefox 3". It is a plain blue Earth globe, with no fox wrapped
around.

Another cosmetic issue. When launching Firefox, it opens quickly and shows
on the task bar correctly. But the old Firefox icon also shows briefly on
the task bar with the spinning hourglass until it gives up and disappears.

Last, Firefox is now identified as "Shriketoko", which the Mozilla
internal codename for Firefox 3.5 on the Gecko 1.9.1.

None of the above glitches are important to me. I mention them only for
information to those who may be considering using this method to upgrade
Firefox, and who may not want to live with or otherwise spend time solving
these problems.

--
Tony Sivori