Taking ages to print to HP C5180 printer (kubuntu 9.04)

Mark Fraser ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Thu Dec 24 14:59:35 UTC 2009

I've recently had a lot of trouble trying to print a calendar using the
calendar tool in DigiKam (1.0.0-beta5) to a networked HP Photosmart C5180
printer.

When I first tried it, I tried to print straight to the printer and this never
seemed to get anywhere so next I printed to a postscript file which worked and
took the same amount of time it took in 8.04 to print direct.

Now that I've got a 12 page postscript file I can print it is taking about an
hour for the computer to process before it prints out with ps taking 100% of
the CPU.

The other thing I've noticed is that I'm getting 'printer (photosmart_c5100)
may not be connected' messages even though I can connect to the printer via
Firefox.

I've tried reinstalling the printer drivers which hasn't helped.

Can anyone help me?

Yet another thing that's got worse since 8.04 :(