USB drive prepared for installation of Kubuntu 9.10, but laptop does not boot from it.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 23:13:50 UTC 2009

Hello everybody

Today, I transferred a Kubuntu 9.10 i386 image file to a USB stick via
usb-creator-kde.  - From this stick, I am trying to install Kubuntu 9.10 at
a laptop, whose CD/ DVD combo drive does not work very well. Earlier,
several attempts to install Kubuntu from CD failed. Also the Knoppix CD does
not work any more in this CD/ DVD combo drive. That's why, i am trying now
to this USB stick. When checking the files at the USB stick via Dolphin, I
see exactly the same files as those at the CD I used before. For the
preparation of the USB drive, I have followed the instructions at this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

The laptop is a Medion MD5400, produced in 1992. In it's BIOS, I have
selected 'removable drives'  as the first drives to boot from. However, the
laptop simply does not boot from it. The laptop boots from the HD, where I
installed Kubuntu 9.04. But already in the beginning, the following message
appears:
*GRUB loading, please wait....
Error 15.*
I do not manage to avoid 'Error 15' by booting the USB stick. After 'Error
15' , everything simply stagnates, until I try to reboot via
CONTROL-ALT-DEL.

Does anybody have a clue on how to get the laptop booting from the USB
stick?

Thanks for replying. Respectfully yours,
Bas.